Every now and then I make a music discovery that makes me feel incredibly uncool for not having already known about it. Today was one of those days.
Although I’ve seen the combination of three words that is “The Hood Internet” before, I had no idea it was a musical act until a few hours ago. They’re a Chicago-based duo who produce insanely good mashups and remixes of popular songs old and new, fusing hip-hop with indie, mainstream, and the unexpected.
They release these gems in the form of Mixtapes–big, awesome compilations of familiar songs remixed with tight beats, melodic hooks, synth undertones and sometimes a hip retro vibe. It’s really quite unlike anything I’ve ever heard before. Each track flows so seamlessly into the next that you might find yourself wondering how you’re already completely jamming to the next song, which may or may not be a song you don’t even like!
If The Hood Internet can make me enjoy Quad City DJs’ “The Train”–a song I’ve loathed since my freshman year of high school–then I feel 100% confident recommending them to you. Hell, I’m not unconvinced The Hood Internet aren’t some kind of musical sorcerers.
Mixtape Volume Six
Here’s The Hood Internet’s latest release, on which you’ll find a delectable assortment of flashbacks like Whitney Houston’s “How Will I Know?”, Enigma’s “Return to Innocence,” Snoop Dogg’s “What’s My Name?”, and Snap!’s “The Power” alongside modern hits from the likes of Kid Sister, Whiz Khalifa, Tyga and many others:
[soundcloud url=”http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/45615022″ iframe=”true” /]
1. Wiz Khalifa x Phantogram | Move Up
2. Mayer Hawthorne x M83 | One Midnight With You
3. Ma$e x Notorious B.I.G. x Penguin Prison | Fuck With Mo’ Money
4. Kanye West x Snap! | Power²
5. Beastie Boys x Santigold x Weird Tapes | Don’t Play No Trash
6. TLC x Holy Ghost! | Some Creeps
7. Tyga x Neon Indian | Polish City
8. Snoop Dogg x Dillon Francis x Kill The Noise | What’s My Noise
9. The Cool Kids x Ford & Lopatin | World Of Swimsuits
10. Taio Cruz x Foster The People | Houdin-o-mite
11. Only Children x YACHT | Tripped And Didn’t Stop
12. Travis Porter x Daft Punk | Make It Rezz
13. Whitney Houston x Chromeo | When The Night Knows
14. Sisqo x The Rapture x A-Trak | How Deep Is Your Thong?
15. Dragonette x The Kickdrums x Kutcorners | Hello Something
16. Sims x Win Win | Burn It Again
17. YC x Knife Party | Knife Rack
18. tUnE-yArDs x Rihanna | GANGS&M
19. Big Sean x Kanye West x Wolfgang Gartner | The Way Marvin Was
20. Quad City DJs x Deadmau5 | Ride Some Chords
21. Ace Hood x The Black Keys | Hard And Gone
22. Wiz Khalifa x Too $hort x SBTRKT | On My Wildfire
23. Chris Brown x Busta Rhymes x Rustie | Look At My City
24. Flosstradamus x Kid Sister x Symmetry | City Luuks
25. Kreayshawn x Gang Gang Dance | Gucci Goth
26. Wale x Rick Ross x Kavinsky | Nightchain