Unless you have been living under a rock for the past month, you know that Sony has been battling a series of gigantic security breaches, affecting more than 100 million users. The large-scale hack attacks were responsible for the month-long downtime of the Playstation Network and the theft of a staggering amount of PSN users’ personal and financial data from across the globe. Even as Sony rebuilds its infrastructure and slowly gets back on its feet, additional attacks and new security issues continue to cause further delays. For now, at least, the Playstation Network is back online and millions of gamers are recovering from withdraw.
This week, Sony provided details on its blog for the Playstation Network and Qriocity Customer Appreciation Program, otherwise known as Sony’s “welcome back” (read: “please love us again”) package. If you have a PSN account, here’s what you will get:
All PlayStation Network customers can select two PS3 games from the following list. The games will be available for 30 days shortly after PlayStation Store is restored and can be kept forever.
- Dead Nation
- Super Stardust HD
- Wipeout HD + Fury
For PSP owners, you will be eligible to download two PSP games from the following list. The games will be available for 30 days shortly after PlayStation Store is restored and can be kept forever.
- LittleBigPlanet (PSP)
- ModNation Racers
- Pursuit Force
- Killzone Liberation
- A selection of “On Us” rental movie titles will be available to PlayStation Network customers over one weekend, where Video Service is available. Those titles will be announced soon.
- 30 days free PlayStation Plus membership for non PlayStation Plus subscribers.
- Existing PlayStation Plus subscribers will receive an additional 60 days of free subscription.
- Existing Music Unlimited Premium Trial subscription members will receive an additional 30 days of free premium subscription.
- Additional 30 days + time lost for existing members of Music Unlimited Premium/Basic subscription free of charge for existing Premium/Basic members.
- To welcome users Home, PlayStation Home will be offering 100 free virtual items. Additional free content will be released soon, including the next addition to the Home Mansion personal space, and Ooblag’s Alien Casino, an exclusive game.
Personally, I would have liked a longer list of games to choose from, although I understand that it’s up to the participating publishers who contributed to this package. I’m going to go with Infamous and Super Stardust HD myself, which are two games I’ve been wanting to play. But I do feel sorry for the Sony gamers who have already purchased every game on this list, as there’s quite a few of them out there. It was bound to happen with all of these titles being so popular. The rest of the freebies on this list seem pretty lackluster to me.
What do you think? Is Sony doing enough to buy back your affection?